Being a frequent baker, I often come across situations, where egg yolk is left over. Many a time, I end up making a simple omelet with the yolk alone, but I have discovered tastier ways of using these yolks. You can use it for baking cookies, cakes, and even mayonnaise. Shocked? Then you ought to read through and try these 5 recipes with egg yolks that I have already tried and have really been appreciated for.
Top 5 Egg Yolk Recipes:
Catch up with 5 interesting ways you can use your egg yolks with this article.
1. Mocha Sponge Cake With Egg Yolks:
Sponge cakes in general, use eggs. However, this one is a special treat for all those chocolate and coffee lovers.
- Egg yolks – 3
- Hot water – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Sugar – ¾ cup, powdered [You can use caster sugar also]
- All purpose flour – ½ cup
- Custard powder – 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Instant coffee – ½ tsp
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Butter – ¼ cup, softened
- Preheat your oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks with 2 tbsp hot water by using a hand beater until it becomes creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter until the mixture turns pale and thick.
- Add the sugar mixture to egg yolks and beat until it becomes pale in color.
- Take flour with baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the beaten egg and sugar mixture, alternating with 2 tbsp milk.
- Dissolve 1 tsp coffee granules in 1 tbsp hot water. Fold into the flour mixture.
- Transfer to a 7 inch, mildly greased round cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a cake teaser inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take out, allow it to cool.
- Dust it with sugar, and make slices and serve.
We have a tendency to pick a Mayo bottle whenever we visit the departmental store. You can stop spending that extra money on your favorite mayonnaise brand now and try this recipe.
- Egg yolk – 2
- Vinegar – 1 ½ tsp
- Mustard – 3/8 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp, freshly squeezed
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking oil – 1 cup, divided [You can use any flavorless oil here. Extra virgin olive oil would be the best deal.]
- Add all the ingredients, except oil to a medium sized mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, beat the mixture until everything blends well and turns sunny yellow.
- Add about ½ cup oil, ½ tsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Mix in rest of the oil, little at a time, and beating continuously, until mayonnaise gets the desired thickness and turns lighter.
- Transfer to a moisture free, airtight container, chill, and use. Keep it refrigerated to use for a longer duration.
3. Spicy Salad Dressing:
For those who love a creamy salad dressing, this one would surely appeal to you! Made with two egg yolks, this one is a classic delicacy that adds a lush touch to the salad, transforming even the simplest salad into a festive one.
- Egg yolks – 2
- Garlic – 5 cloves, chopped
- Black pepper – 2 tsp, freshly crushed
- Salt – to taste
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 3 tbsp, freshly squeezed
- Tabasco sauce – 1 tsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 tsp
- Red paprika flakes – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – ½ cup
- In a small pan, dry roast the garlic until it loses its raw flavor and turns slightly golden.
- Crush the garlic.
- Add all the ingredients, excluding the oil, to a blender.
- Add half the oil, a few drops at a time, and blend until the mixture blends well.
- Add rest of the oil, 1 tsp at a time, until the mixture thickens.
- Store in an airtight, moisture free container and refrigerate it until used.
4. Mocha Mousse:
Use the best dark chocolate available to make sure that you are consuming less sugar. While bittersweet chocolate would be the best bet, you can use semisweet chocolate if you want a sweeter delight.
- Egg yolks – 5
- Sugar – 3 tbsp, finely powdered
- Heavy cream – 1 cup
- Whipped cream – 1 cup
- Chocolate – 8 oz, melted [You can use anything of your choice]
- Instant coffee – 1 tsp dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- Place a medium sized saucepan on medium to high heat.
- Add egg yolks, sugar, and 1 cup cream to the pan on low to medium flame. Whisk it well and cook it for about 4 minutes. Make sure that the mixture doesn’t boil.
- Take it off from the heat and whisk in the coffee and chocolate.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool. Refrigerate it until the mixture chills.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the cooled yolk mixture.
- Divide equally among the chilled serving dishes, chill for 60 minutes, and serve. You can store this dish, unspoiled, in the refrigerator for 2 days.
5. Egg Yolk Omelet:
As I mentioned above, this is one of the easiest ways of making use of the egg yolks. Just be a little careful as it is just yolks. Do not overload with veggies as it could break the omelet.
- Egg yolks – 2
- Onions – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely minced
- Italian seasoning – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Butter – 2 tsp
- In a small mixing bowl, add egg yolks, salt, and black pepper.
- Using a wire whisk, mix the mixture to ensure the blending of flavors.
- Grease a shallow frying pan slightly with butter and heat on medium to high flame.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté until it becomes golden brown.
- Lower the flame to low to medium.
- Pour over the egg mixture and gently swirl for even spreading.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning. Sprinkle rest of the butter.
- Cook on low to medium heat until the bottom turns slightly brown and there is no more liquid left on the top.
- Serve hot.
These are my top 5 favorites when it comes to using egg yolks. However, there are loads of other ways you can put these egg yolks to use.
What is your favorite way of enjoying egg yolk? A hollandaise sauce, boston cream pie, or banana custard? Why don’t you share the name of the dish and recipe with us?