Top 3 Delicious Broad Bean Recipes You Can Try Now!
If you are a foodie, I am sure you want to try as many food groups as you can in this lifetime! Beans are healthy, as we all know. There are a number of sub-species of beans, which come with their own set of benefits.
Broad Bean is a member of the legume family. They are pretty hardy and can be grown in all types of climates and soils. They are a good source of carbohydrates and protein and Vitamins like A, B1 and B2. They are also known as fava beans. These beans are available across the country. They have many names, like Bakla in Hindi, Chapparadvare in Kannada, Amarakaya in Malayalam etc. They are available at their peak from June end to mid September. If you are planning to buy broad beans then buy them fresh—the pods should be crisp and firm.
Before cooking, you need to de-pod the broad beans. For this, put the beans in some water in a pan and cover it. Let it boil for about 5 minutes. Drain the water and then wash the beans with cold water. Slit each pod at the seam. Run your finger inside to remove the beans. Now you can use them in your favorite recipe!
Benefits of Broad Beans:
Like all other types of beans, broad beans too come with a plethora of benefits:
- Broad beans are rich in Vitamin A and C, which are essential for good vision, bone development and glowing skin.
- Broad beans are good source of dietary fiber that improves and balances the cholesterol level and blood sugar level in the body.
- Broad beans are rich in fiber and help to regulate the body’s digestive system.
- High concentration of amino acid present in broad bean work to keep the brain healthy.
- Broad beans contain good amount of potassium that help the body regulate heart function and maintain blood pressure level.
- Broad beans are a good source of phosphorus, which helps in the formation of healthy teeth and bones.
- Broad beans are also rich in thiamin, which is essential to maintain normal nerve function.
- Broad beans contain good amount of iron, which helps in forming hemoglobin in the body.
Fresh Broad Bean Recipes:
Now that we know that how good broad bean is for health, it is time to get cooking! Here are provided some easy broad beans recipes:
1. Broad Bean, Potato and Bacon Soup:
Flavored by bacon, broad bean soup has a thick texture of potato. I love this soup as it is an amazing way to use broad beans. In case of unavailability of fresh broad beans, you can use frozen broad beans.
Serves – 6
Preparation time – 10 min, cooking time – 20 min, ready – 30 min
- Bacon chopped -100 gm
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Onion – 1
- Garlic cloves chopped – 3 nos
- Broad beans skins removed – 700 gm
- Potato large peeled – 1
- Chicken cubes dissolved in 1 liter water – 1 chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Sauté bacon in large sauce pan with hot oil till it turns light brown. Add garlic and onion and sauté till they turn soft. Add broad beans and potatoes diced and sauté for around 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and its stock. Add salt and pepper according to taste and bring the soup to boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
- Blend the soup with a hand blender till it becomes smooth, and then simmer it for another minute on the stove.
- Serve the soup with a drizzle of olive oil and grated cheese.
2. Pasta, Broad Bean and Ham Salad:
This is an easy and quick pasta salad recipe. Perfect for busy people, it is sustaining and appealing. And to top it all the walnut pesto and watercress dressing adds an amazing punchy flavor to it.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 20 minutes, cooking time – 15 minute, ready – 35 minutes
- Fusili pasta – 300gm
- Shelled baby broad beans – 400 gm
- Tomatoes -400 gm
- Cooked ham -200 gm
- Fresh chives -3 tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Watercress – 50 gm
- Walnut pieces – 50 gm
- Garlic clove – 1
- Low fat yogurt – 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- In a large sauce pan, cook pasta in salted boiling water for around 10 minutes. Add broad beans and boil again on low flame and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mean while mix ham, tomatoes, chives and olive oil in a large bowl. Keep it aside.
- To make pesto, process walnuts, watercress and garlic together in a blender or food processer
- Add half of the pulse in olive oil, and then add oil, lemon juice and yogurt and blend it nicely. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain beans and pasta, and immediately add tomato mixture. Mix them nicely, cover it and keep aside for 5 minutes. Stir chopped watercress and pesto into the salad.
- Serve immediately
3. Broad Bean Indian Curry:
This is a delicious Indian recipe prepared with broad beans and Indian spices. Try this tasty recipe for yourself.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 5 minutes excluding overnight soaking, cooking time – 20 minute, ready–15 minutes
- Broad beans – 200 gm
- Tomatoes- 4
- Water – 2 or 3 cups
- Garlic cloves – 5
- Mild red chilies – 6
- Coriander seeds – 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tsp
- Peppercorns – 4 to 5
- Cloves – 4 to 5
- Cinnamon sticks – 3
- Ghee -2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak beans overnight.
- In a sauce pan, place drained beans with water and add ½ tsp salt. Bring it to boil till beans become tender.
- Cut tomatoes and place them in saucepan with water. Boil them in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Roast 1 onion in a gas flame and once cooked remove the skin and grind with other spices and make a paste.
- Melt ghee in a sauce pan and fry it for 3 to 4 minutes. Add drained broad beans, cooked tomato and salt.
- Stir nicely and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or paranthas.
- And you thought broad beans were boring! With these recipes, you can convert anyone into a broad bean lover! Try them today!
Hope you enjoyed reading this article. Do you have an exciting broad bean recipe? Do share with us.