Are you tired of failing at fad diets one after another? Does the task of shedding a few pounds quickly within a reasonable time-frame seem unachievable? Maybe it’s time you look for something more realistic. Mayo Clinic Diet is one such program which is sensible, doable and produces significant results in just two weeks! This plan is based on age old idea of eating healthy and working out. It also suggests that one must not restrain themselves from indulging in occasional treats. Keep reading to know more about the Mayo Clinic Diet that can certainly help you reach your target weight.
What is Mayo Clinic Diet?
Mayo Clinic Diet is a long-term weight management program that has been developed by the experts at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. The program puts forward the concept of eating healthy while you also enjoy the foods you eat. However, you can surely sink your teeth into a piece of luscious chocolate cake or a juicy apple pie once in a while.
What Can You Accomplish with Mayo Clinic Diet?
The experts suggest that you can lose as much as 6-10 pounds within the first fortnight itself, provided you follow the routine with discipline and dedication.
Where Do You Start?
The Mayo Clinic Diet begins with a period of 14 days where you try to give up on your unhealthy eating habits and replace them with healthier options. The 14-day window is sufficient for an average person to develop sustenance for the transition. You will also need to incorporate an exercise routine in your day. A brisk walk or yoga for at least half an hour daily would amplify the effect of the Mayo Clinic Diet.
Let us consider that you want to swap 5 of your unhealthy eating habits with healthy ones. You may proceed like this:
- Letting go of the pack of chips and grabbing a bowl of your favorite fresh fruits to snack on instead.
- Switching to fresh fruit juice or just plain water whenever the desire to sip on a soft drink or an alcoholic beverage hits you.
- Eating 4-5 small meals a day instead of 3 giant meals.
- Eating meals on time, every time, and not while your eyes are hooked on to the television.
- Saying no to packaged and pre-cooked foods sitting on the shelves of the super-markets.
You see, just letting go of the unwholesome choices is not the solution. You need to back it up with good habits to keep your weight-loss routine on track.
What to Eat?
Like we mentioned before, Mayo Clinic Diet recommends you eat something that is nutritious as well as palatable. Loving what you eat will keep you motivated. Nevertheless, switching over to Mayo Clinic Diet is supposed to be a lifelong commitment. You do not need to make major modifications in your diet or splurge money on any fancy foods. You can include the following foods in your diet.
- A wide variety of fresh fruits so that you get a daily dose of your vitamins and minerals
- Lots of fresh veggies to cook with. Green leafy veggies and cruciferous veggies
- Sprouts and legumes
- A bowlful of salad made with raw veggies, preferably before every meal, without the store-bought salad dressings that are high in sodium content
- Whole grains and cereals
- Soy milk, tofu, chicken, oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, etc. to fulfil your body’s protein requirements
- Low-fat milk and yogurt
- Olive oil for cooking instead of the usual refined vegetable oils
- Limited quantities of cheese, butter and mayonnaise
- An occasional serving of cake, pudding, ice-cream or chocolate, whatever you may like to reward yourself with
What Not to Eat?
Now, let us take a look at what not to eat, or drink for that matter, when you opt for the Mayo Clinic Diet.
- Foods with added sugar
- Oily and greasy foods
- Eating out; the food that usually doesn’t match your dietary routine
- Large servings of food
- Alcoholic and fizzy drinks
- Ready-to-eat packaged meals
- Canned foods that are loaded with sodium and other preservatives
- Foods containing unhealthy saturated fats
- The fundamental benefit includes weight loss, thus it helps to improve the overall health of a person
- It also reduces the risk of hypertension, fluctuating blood sugar levels, heart ailments and sleep apnea
- The diet improves the above conditions if already present along with weight loss
Preferred Cooking Techniques:
Nothing can beat eating home-cooked meals. When it comes to Mayo Clinic Diet, the aim is to cook food in such a way that less fat goes into the cooking process while the nutrient content of the food remains intact.
Baking, stir-frying, sautéing, roasting, toasting, grilling, boiling and steaming are the best methods to cook nutritious food. Avoid the recipes that need you to shallow-fry or deep-fry the food in a pan full of grease.
How Feasible is the Mayo Clinic Diet Plan?
The Mayo Clinic Diet plan is very much pragmatic and easy to follow. It only needs you to tweak your menu a little bit. It calls for making wholesome choices and working out to maintain a fit body. The plan doesn’t impose any big restrictions either. It is a viable dietary plan for vegans, vegetarians and non-vegetarians.
Monetarily speaking, the Mayo Clinic Diet program doesn’t put any pressure on your pocket. You can include in your diet the veggies and fruits that are easily available in the markets near you.
In the fast paced life where we eat whatever is convenient, a dietary program like Mayo Clinic Diet is simple to implement and follow in the long run. So, don’t you think it is a better way to lose weight than those fad diets that are actually no good? We hope this piece gave you a proper insight into the concept of Mayo Clinic Diet and that you would try to make a radical change in your life by implementing it to lose the flab.
Are you currently on a diet to lose weight? Have you tried the Mayo Clinic Diet Plan? Do share your experience with us in the comments section below.