Eyes are one of the most delicate parts of our body. Any kind of eye care related activity must be undertaken carefully. In this article we guide you through a few basic yet essential steps to use eye drops correctly.
1. Before you touch your eye drops you need to wash your hands clean with soap and water and then towel dry them. Some doctors even recommend using an alcohol-free hand sanitizer after you wash your hands.
2. Carefully wipe your eyes to remove any residue that may be lodged in the sides.
3. If you’re putting the eye drop yourself, you need to lie down or bend backwards and gently pull your lower eyelid down with one hand.
4. With your other hand, hold the eye drops bottle over your eye. You can rest your hand on your forehead for support.
5. Now squeeze the bottle till you drop the liquid inside your lower lid. Make sure the bottle does not touch the eye.
6. Let go of the lid but keep your eye shut for about two to three minutes.
7. There may be a tear or two that will flow out. Wipe the sides of your eyes carefully only to clear the excess liquid.
8. Do not blink extensively or the eye drop may sweep away with your tears.
9. Repeat the same steps with the other eye too, if you’ve been prescribed to use eye drops for both your eyes.
10. If you’ve been prescribed two eye drops, wait for about five minutes before you put the second one.
11. After using the eye drop, keep your eyes shut for a few minutes. This will ensure better penetration and effectiveness.
12. Make sure you wash your hands after the whole routine.