Whether it’s a minor irritating infection or a greater health issue, vaginal infections and health is very important for any woman. Doctors often notice that women pay very little attention to the health and well being of their vaginas as it is considered taboo to discuss health concerns about female genitalia. Today, we have Philomena Aranha, Senior Child and Woman Specialist Nurse, Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai, sharing some quick and easy tips to prevent vaginal yeast infections…
Understand that discharge is normal, unless discolored or in excess: Every woman should understand that they cannot get away from vaginal discharge, which is quite high during the ovulation period. This discharge is the body’s natural way of cleaning itself. You just have to be alert, if you notice something unusual in this discharge seek help from your doctor immediately to avoid infections.
Keep your vagina clean: If you notice that your discharge is too heavy, then you need not wash it too frequently. Washing too frequently can lead to irritation and further cause infection. Hence, prefer wiping it with a clean tissue instead of washing it abruptly.
Always wipe your vaginal area, from the front to the back, with a clean tissue after using a toilet. Wiping the other way can lead to bacteria transfer from the anus to the vagina.
Here are some must-do tips for better vaginal health:
- Wear loose-fitting cotton inner wears.
- Avoid perfumed soaps or toilet paper, as perfumed products often include chemicals.
- Always use condoms to protect the health of your vagina.
- Remove your bathing suit, soon after a swim.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Change your sanitary napkins quite often.
- Avoid having sexual intercourse, if you are showing any vaginal infection symptoms.
- Avoid using other people’s towel.
- No douching. Just wash your vagina from outside to avoid irritation.