A major versatile cereal grain, barley is a member of the grass family. It is now a widely grown crop across the world. The barley grain is a staple food of the Tibetans. Barley has also been used as animal fodder, in beer and in certain distilled beverages. It is a major constituent of various health foods as well. It is added to soups and stews. Barley grains are commonly made into malt using a conventional and old method of preparation. It is a rich source of fiber, B vitamins, Vitamin E, selenium, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and zinc.
Barley water is considered as a traditional herbal tea. It is consumed by boiling it in water and the straining part is optional.
Let us now see how to prepare the barley water.
Raw barley water means just letting barley stand in a glass of water for 24 hours, and then consuming the water. There is no heating involved. You just have to keep the area and the container clean.
How To Prepare Barley Water?
For more efficient ways of preparing barley water, read on.
The following ingredients are required for the same:
- 1 cup organic pearl barley
- 5 cups water
- Lemon juice of 1/2 or 1 lemon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick
- Root Ginger
Remember that the flavorings are optional and can be added based on your preferences.
Method Of Preparation:
Let’s learn the method to prepare barley water.
- Boil around 1.5 liters of water along with about a handful of barley.
- Let the pot be on simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- The amount of barley can be altered based on the kind of barley taste you prefer. More implies more barley grains and less implies less barley grains.
- Let it cool down.
- Straining this concoction is preferable if you want to refrigerate it and use it for longer periods of time. Yet, it is advised to consume the fresh barley water as and when required.
This was the simplest recipe to prepare the barley water. Now, let us see how to make it tastier!
Adding flavors is a sure shot way to make the barley water tastier.
- Take water in a pot and add barley and a clove of garlic, a cinnamon stick and chopped root ginger into it and boil them.
- Add enough water so that after simmering, 1/3 of the water must be left on the pot.
- Cool it and strain.
- Drink it hot or cold, the way you like it.
- Remember not to add lemon or honey while boiling as they bring out a bitter taste.
- You can add them later after the water cools down.
- You can use mint leaves, orange, lime juice or even other herb extracts for flavor.
- These are the easiest ways of preparing barley water.
- Now, how would you like to use the leftover barley?
- You can use it to thicken your soups and stews.
- You can also add it to your salads.
- You can add it in the blender with your favorite smoothies for added nutrition.
- You can make muesli by adding some chopped vegetables, nuts or dry fruits, depending on how you want the flavors to be.
Benefits Of Barley Water:
To reap the benefits of barley water, drink around 3 glasses of barley water a day. It also aids weight loss and cools down the body. It cleanses the kidneys and keeps them functioning smoothly. It quenches thirst, and helps us achieve the recommended daily water intake
Now that you know the benefits of barley water, let us know how do you plan to use it to get health benefit. Leave us your comments and suggestions below.