The ultimate comfort food, hot and steaming chicken soup is an age old remedy for treating colds and other ailments. It is popularly known to reduce respiratory discomfort, making it an excellent and much loved remedy for congestion in any weather. In addition to it, chicken itself is a rich source of protein and provides ample amounts of amino acids to our body, making it an ideal food for muscle building. With only 205 calories per cup, here’s our pick for this winter’s favourite comfort food: The chunky chicken noodle soup!
- ½ kg of chicken, cut up and skinned
- 3/4th teaspoon of BBQ masala (locally available)
- 1/4th teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 ounces of wheat egg noodles
- ½ cup of celery, sliced
- ½ cup of carrot, sliced
- 1/3rd cup of green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons of granules
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 6 cups of water
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Combine chicken, BBQ masala, thyme, water and wheat noodles in a pressure cooker and bring them to a boil.
- Let all the ingredients blend together on medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and remove chicken pieces and wheat noodles, by keeping the broth aside.
- Skim all the fat from the broth and add 2 cups of extra water to the mixture.
- Now, throw in all other ingredients to the mixture and bring it to a boil. As soon as it boils, simmer the mixture for 20 more minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken pieces and noodles to the mixture and sprinkle with additional pepper, if required.