If you have a sweet tooth and crave for desserts after a meal, here’s a fast and healthy sweet. This nutritious version of the traditional recipe of seviiyan skips the use of full-fat milk, condensed milk and dry fruits. The vermicelli thickens the milk effortlessly to create a creamy concoction that’s sure to appease your craving. A touch of cardamom powder and saffron adds colour and flavour to this traditional calcium and protein rich dish.
- 1/2 cup crushed vermicelli (sevaiyan)
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 2 tsp skimmed milk powder
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
- Heat a non-stick pan, add the vermicelli and cook over a slow flame till it is golden brown, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and simmer till the milk reduces to half its original quantity (for approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Add the milk powder, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron and mix well.
- Serve warm.