Sexual dysfunction is the problem faced by an individual or a couple during the response phases of normal sexual activity, which includes excitement, arousal, plateau and resolution. Sexual dysfunction may affect both body and mind. Hence, it is important to have a comprehensive approach to the problem to maximize the benefits of medications and behavioural techniques in the treatment of sexual dysfunction. Today, with expert inputs from the president of International Association of Sexual Medicine, Dr A Chakravarthy we will give you a low-down of the top 5 treatments for sexual dysfunction.
1. Relationship counselling or couple therapy: Relationship counselling is the process of counselling in which the couple seeks guidance in an effort to find out and to manage the conflicts and repeating patterns of distress. The relationship involved may be between members of a family or a couple. Couples therapy is more targeted at emotions and deals with intractable problems with a relationship history. One can do for a trial session to a sex counsellor in order to take the therapy effectively forward. Over time, the couple learns to recognize their own sensual preferences and dislikes and to communicate in a mutual fashion about them. Ultimately, partners collaborate to build a mutually satisfying and flexible sexual relationship.
2. Muscle Training: Kegel exercise is the most common method of muscle training and it is easy to do and very effective when done regularly for both men and women. It is an effective method for enhancing the quality of erection and control of ejaculation in man and better control of vaginal contraction in woman. Kegel exercise can be done in either sitting or lying down. Try to contract the muscles like when you do to stop urinating. While doing that, you can feel your pelvic muscles squeezing your urethra and anus. If stomach or buttocks muscles tighten, that means you have not found the right muscles to exercise. Contract the pelvic muscles, squeeze for 3 seconds and relax for 3 seconds. Repeat this for 10-15 times a session. For best results do this 3 times a day regularly.
3. Medical method such as viagra, levitra, and cialis: Mentioned below is a list of medicines that can be taken by men to deal with the problem of erectile dysfunction:
- Sildenafil Citrate: Trade name – Viagra. Wonder drug came into market in 1998. It comes in 25mg /50mg /100mg tablets. It has to be taken orally half an hour prior to sexual activity.
- Vardenafil: Trade Name – Levitra. It comes in 10mg / 20mg tablets. It has to be taken orally one hour prior to sexual activity.
- Tadalafil: Trade Name – Cialis. It comes in 10mg / 20mg tablets. It has to be taken orally one hour prior to sexual activity
- Dapoxetine: Trade Name – Priligy. It comes in 30mg/60mg. It has to be taken one to three hours prior to sexual activity.
- Hormone Preparations – Testosterones can be given orally or as injection. It helps in treatment for hypogonadism and decreased libido.
Caution: Certain medications given for the treatment of psychiatric illness, hypertension and other disease conditions can cause or augment sexual dysfunction. These drugs should be stopped or changed to alternate medicines which do not affect sexual function to restore the sexual function.
4. Surgical methods: Mentioned below are a few surgical methods that might help you in case of sexual dysfunction:
- Surgical correction for peyronie’s disease.
- Penile prosthesis for erectile dysfunction.
- Penis augmentation surgery for hypogonadism.
- Surgery for correction of malformations in the penis (for instance, hypospadias) and female genitalia.
5. External Aids and Implants: As far as external vacuum devices are concerned, penis pump is one of the treatment options for erectile dysfunction. Also known as vacuum pump or a vacuum constriction device, it helps to restore the ability to get a natural erection after prostate surgery or radiation therapy for prostate cancer. And then there is penis extension condom, which can be used more than once. Some vibrators are also designed to ergonomically stimulate erogenous zones for erotic stimulation.