Have you long been suffering from diabetes? If yes, then you must know how limited your nutritional options are and how it feels to avoid all sorts of dietary temptations. Soda is one such bad choice for diabetics and your doctor might have already advised you to stay off it. But there is good news for all those soda lovers out there! You can now indulge in ‘diet soda’ and give yourself a special treat from time to time! Here is all you need to know about diet soda for diabetes:
Debate Regarding Diet Soda To Cure Diabetes:
Though diet soda is known to contain little to no sugar, there is still a debate about how safe it is for diabetics. In fact, it is even thought to be a trigger for the disease. Let us take a look at the real scenario:
1. The Study:
A whopping 6,800 people aged between 45 and 84 years were chosen for the study, which was basically a part of MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Those, who consumed one or more diet soda among them, were found to be 67% more prone to type 2 diabetes than others. The calorie-free drink also placed them at 36% higher risk of several fatal metabolic syndromes, such as gut fat, hypertension, stroke, etc.
2. The Reason:
In drinks like diet soda, sugar is replaced with artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame. This non-saccharide sugar substitute can increase the affinity for sugar, when consumed in excess. Consequently, people feel more cravings for sugary foods. In addition, certain components of aspartame cause spikes in our blood sugar levels. It increases the secretion of insulin all of a sudden, which our body becomes desensitized to. As a result, we fall prey to diabetes and other health issues.
3. The Truth:
Well, the truth is that a mere can of diet soda does not worsen your condition if you are diabetic. It is only when you drink lots of it and that too regularly, that you become a victim. Moreover, there are a slew of other factors, such as skipping a well-balanced diet, eating too much processed foods, consuming refined sugar and sweetened juices in an excess amount, leading an inactive lifestyle, etc, which contribute to this diseases. So, it is not only the diet soda that should be blamed for higher sugar levels!
What Are So Good About Diet Soda?
When consumed in moderation, diet soda can truly be the best friend of a diabetic patient. Here are a few nice facts about the drink:
- Diet soda contains zero sugar, which makes it a calorie-free food.
- The artificial sweeteners used in the drink do not always give a blood glucose reaction.
- It is declared as one of the safest beverages for diabetics by the American Diabetes Association.
- This diet version of drinking soda is available in a number of flavors including orange, cola, lime, lemon, root beer, etc.
- It offers lots of flexibility to your boring meal plans.
What Are So Bad About Diet Soda?
Finally, make sure that you keep the following points in mind while drinking diet soda as a part of your diabetes meal plan:
- Having diet soda frequently can make you obese, which may ultimately cause type-2 diabetes.
- Caffeinated flavor of diet soda can take a toll on your health by causing headache, nervousness, bad temper, agitation, sleep disorder, etc.
- Too much ingestion of artificial sweeteners can lead to deadly diseases like cancer.
Diabetes can be scary. But with proper care, diabetes can be kept under control. A can of diet soda, once in a while, is completely harmless. But, you need to draw a line and never binge on these, somewhat healthier, alternatives. As in everything else, moderation is the key here!
Hope this article gave you an insight on the pros and cons of diet soda. Leave us your feedback in the comments section below.