Losing weight and toning are not the same. Weight loss is decreasing body weight and can be won over through diet.
Toning however is a different matter. For a toned physique, you need to work on resistance training to sculpt and define muscles, you can either work with body weight or use external weights like dumbbells, tubing, weighted bands, stability ball etc .
Cardio may be the way many choose to lose weight, but making weight training routine will complement your cardio routine and will lead to faster results both in terms of weight loss and toning. Muscles burn calories even while you are sitting. So pick weights and speed up your weight loss journey.
Weight Training And Cardio – Beat The Bulge!
Dedicate weekly two – three sessions and weight train the entire body and work every major muscle group in a single session. This burns more calories and fat than compared to training just one or two muscle groups each workout. Allow at least one day between each weights workout. However as most of you are beginners I would like to break up the muscle groups and work it out.
Remember your cardio session still stays on. Aim at 40- 60 minutes on most days and diet is the key factor to weight loss. Aim to lose half a kilo per week. Cut down 250 calories from your diet and burn 250 calories through diet. By the end of the week you would have expended 3500 calories and that is equal to half a kilo down.
Week 3 Exercise Regime:
Let’s pick up Ab exercises for this week. Ab-specific exercises allow you to strengthen your midsection and tone the area as it packs the muscles tightly and visibly makes you look lot thinner. The exercises address the muscles and not fat. What makes you burn that fat is watching your calorie intake. These exercises can be done at home and on alternate days.
1. Abdominal Hold works abs:
- Sit on the edge of a sturdy chair.
- Place your hands on the edge of the chair.
- Let your fingers point toward the knees.
- As you tighten your abs, slowly bring your toes 2 to 4 inches off the floor and lift your butt off the chair.
- Hold this suspended position as long as you can and lower yourself and repeat.
- Holding it for 5 to 10 seconds would be ideal.
- Continue this exercise for 1 minute.
2. V-Sit Pull-Back targets obliques and abs:
- Sit with knees bent and legs together.
- Get your arms at shoulder level in front of you.
- Engage abs and lean back slightly.
- Rotate torso to right and pull elbow back to tap mat.
- Return to start.
- Switch sides and repeat.
- Do 20 reps in total.
- Alternating sides.
3. Opposite Arm and Leg Raise works core:
- Go on all fours on a mat.
- Your knees should fall directly under your hips, hip width apart.
- Your wrists should fall directly under your shoulders, shoulder width apart.
- Raise your left arm to shoulder level and lift your right leg to hip level.
- Hold for 3 counts and switch sides.
- Right and left is considered as one rep, perform 15 reps.
4. Cobra works the lower back and the opposing muscle:
- Lie facing down on a yoga mat.
- Place your palms beside your chest.
- Lift your head, shoulders and chest off the floor.
- Keeping your lower stomach in contact with the floor.
- Hold for 3 counts lower yourself.
- Repeat 16 times.