There was a time when Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) was considered as a disease of the ‘old people’. But, things have changed now. Many of the younger generation too are falling prey to this disease. And women seem to be vulnerable to this disease. One of the causes for this disorder is lack of stretching and joint exercises.
Mayo Clinic defines Rheumatoid Arthritis as “a chronic inflammatory disorder that typically affects your hands and feet. Unlike the wear and tear damage of osteoarthritis, RA affects the lining of your joints, causing painful swelling that can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity.” The main symptoms of RA are swollen joints, excessive fatigue and exhaustion, stiffness in the body, and nodules of tissues under the skin on your arms. RA first attacks smaller joints like our knuckles and toes, and gradually spreads throughout the body.
5 Ramdev Yoga Poses For Rheumatoid Arthritis:
However, Rheumatoid Arthritis can be prevented and cured with the help of yoga. Stretches and joint exercises should be a part of your fitness regimen from an early age. Baba Ramdev suggests 5 mild, easy, but beneficial poses to prevent and cure RA. These poses can be done by elderly people too. Apart from that these poses also help in weight loss, which is necessary for curing RA because obesity worsens the symptoms of RA.
1. Child Pose:
Child pose is a favorite among advanced yogis as well as among beginners. This pose is a great warm-up option before a yoga session as it gives the whole body a nice stretch and loosens up the limbs.
- Get down on your knees and sit back on your heels in Vajrasana (Zen Pose).
- Part your thighs and move your knees a little apart.
- Now bend forward with your arms extended in front of you until your chest touches the ground.
- Now reach forward with your arms and at the same time push back with your butt.
- Stretch your body nicely.
This exercise not only provides stretching but also improves the range of motion of your knees and shoulder joints.
2. Knee To Chest Pose:
This pose is a great hip opener. It helps in curing gastric problems and is known to relieve knee pain.
- Lie down on your back and bring your knees to your chest folding your body.
- Hug your arms around your knees and rock side to side.
3. Bridge Pose:
It is beginner to the intermediary pose, but it strengthens your finger joints, wrists, shoulders and opens your chest and hips.
- Lie on your back on the ground and bend your knees and elbows.
- Place your feet flat on the floor close to your hips and plant your hands firmly on each side of your head.
- Pressing your hands and feet into the ground, lift your body up into the air.
- Balance on your hands and knees and hold the arch for 20-30 sec.
The more advanced version of this can be performed by straightening your legs. This allows you to stretch your toes and ankles by pointing them.
4. Pigeon Pose:
This pose gives your body an amazing stretch. It is an effective hip opener. It is an intermediate pose and works on all the joint areas in the body. It strengthens the groin area also.
- Get down onto your hands and knees with your knees directly under your hips.
- Slide your right knee forward near your right hand and your left leg backwards straightening the knee.
- Lower your groin as close to the ground as possible.
- Keep your hands on the ground. If you can, then raise your arms overhead bound in Anjali mudra and stretch back.
5. Kapal Bhaati Pranayam:
According to Baba Ramdev, Kapal Bhaati Pranayama is the best gift we can give to our body. He recommends this pranayama for almost every disease and disorder.
- For kapalbhaati pranayama, sit in Sukhasana with your hands on your knees in jnana mudra.
- Now take a deep breath and release all the air out of your body such that your stomach is sucked in.
- Do it for 1-5 minutes.
These poses should be done daily to prevent Rheumatoid Arthritis. According to Baba Ramdev, consumption of lemon, turmeric and cherries, and massaging the joints with almond oil and regular Abhyanga strengthens the joints and eases the swelling and pain in the joints. Proper sleep is very important to prevent and cure the joint disorders, including RA.
Rheumatoid arthritis can take over your life, making the simplest of tasks seem like a battle. But, with these yoga poses you can get some semblance of normalcy back into your life. If you suffer from RA, try and practice yoga everyday—it will give your joints a new lease of life!
Do you practice yoga? Has it helped? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.