Daikon radish is one great way to add a different taste to the meals, while safeguarding your health.
Believed to be the native of the Mediterranean region, Daikon Radish, also known as Chinese radish and Japanese radish, is a root vegetable. Commonly found in white color, daikon radish is also available in green, black and yellow colors. No matter what the shape or color it has, daikon radish is good for health. Daikon radish is low in calorie and is packed with Vitamin C and other nutrients like calcium, potassium, copper, phosphorus and fibers. Regular consumption of daikon radish offers various health benefits.
Top 5 Health Benefits Of Daikon Radish:
Some of the best known benefits of the daikon radish are as follows:
1. Strengthens Immunity:
Daikon radish is known to prevent cancer. Whether the cancer can really be prevented or not is a different question altogether. However, the logic behind the statement is that daikon radish contains antioxidants in plenty. These antioxidants helps in fighting the free radicals and cell damage. In fact, daikon radish helps in preventing the formation and accumulation of toxins in the body.
2. Helps In Weight Loss:
Daikon radish contains low levels of cholesterol and fat. It is loaded with nutrients and therefore, if you are on a weight loss program, add radish to your weight loss diet chart. It is healthy, loaded with nutrients and yet, does not add those extra inches. In fact, daikon radish is believed to be effective in burning body fat too, though there is no concrete proof to validate the same.
3. Helps In Detoxification:
Daikon radish is a natural laxative that efficiently detoxifies the body by eliminating the waste products through the colon and kidney. It helps in digestion too by spurring the production of bile.
4. Helps Proper Functioning Of The Respiratory System:
Daikon radish juice is effective in dissolving phlegm and mucus, thus aiding the proper functioning of the respiratory system. It combats viral infections and can prevent diseases like flu, bronchitis and asthma.
5. Promotes Healthy Skin:
Daikon radish juice is known to protect your skin from the onslaught of acnes. Drinking the juice on a regular basis would promote good skin sans acne.
Daikon Radish Recipes
As daikon radish is versatile as a vegetable, it is easy to incorporate it in your daily diet. Whether you eat it raw in the form of salads or include it in your favorite curry, it is going to benefit your health in many ways. If you are looking for a few easy daikon radish recipes, here are 3 amazing recipes for you.
1. Daikon Radish Pickle:
- Daikon radish – 2 cups (chopped)
- Salt – 4 tsps
- Black pepper – ½ tsp (ground)
- Sesame oil – ½ tsp
- Rice vinegar – 1 ½ tsp
- Wash a medium daikon radish and chop it.
- The chopped radish pieces and salt are to be tossed in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate the mix for about half-an-hour. You will notice about two spoons of water being released.
- The water is to be drained and the daikon pieces should now be rinsed so that the salt is removed.
- If possible, pat the pieces dry with paper towel and put them back in the bowl.
- Add black pepper, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Stir thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 10 hours. The delicious pickle is ready!
Now, is it not easy indeed?
2. Daikon Radish Chips:
- Daikon radish
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- You need to cut a daikon radish into thin circular slices.
- Preheat the broiler and spray olive oil on the baking sheet.
- Now place the radish slices and spray olive oil once again.
- It is to be broiled for about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Now flip the slices and again broil for about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Season with pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- The radish chips are great to taste.
Every time you plan a get-together with your friends, keep the radish chips handy, in case a pal prefers vegetarian chips instead of chicken pakoras. However, you need to make sure that the cooking time is adjusted according to the thickness of the radish slices so that you don’t end up over-cooking the daikon pieces.
3. Daikon Chicken Roast:
- Daikon radish – 1 kg (chopped)
- Chicken – 2 kgs
- Butter – 4 tbsp
- Black pepper – powdered
- The oven is to be preheated to 375 degrees.
- Place a saucepan on a low flame and melt 3 spoons of butter.
- Toss the daikon pieces in the melted butter.
- Season it with pepper and salt. Now place the pieces in the pan for roasting.
- After having treated the daikon pieces, it is time to pay attention to the chicken pieces. Rinse the chicken and make sure it is thoroughly cleaned to rid of bacteria and blood stains.
- Now season the chicken inside as well as outside with pepper and salt. After that, the chicken is to be brushed with the remaining one spoon of butter and placed on top of the daikon pieces.
- Roast the seasoned daikon and chicken for 1 to 1 ½ hour. Stir the daikon occasionally. Wait for 15 minutes and then carve out a slice for yourself and your family.
Daikon chicken roast is a great way to add to family feasts and gatherings!
So, including daikon radish is an amazing way to cater to your taste buds and remain healthy at the same time. Learn enjoying the great taste of radishes rather than complaining about the unpleasant odor of the radish.
However, just to be on the safe side, avoid eating daikon radish during pregnancy. Or else, consult your doctor before planning to include it in your diet. Also, refrain from daikons if you are suffering from gallstones.
Hope you will definitely try these recipes to serve yourself with the wonderful benefits of the vegetable. Feel free to share your feedback with us in the comment section below.