Most us know about the nutritional benefits of Lauki. It is also known as dudhi, ghiya and bottle gourd. This vegetable offers various health benefits. Lauki is used to cook various delicious dishes. But do you know that lauki can be juiced too?
Yes! Lauki juice has as many health benefits as lauki curry! In fact, lauki juice occupies an important place in Ayurveda. It checks the bad effects of diseases like diabetes. It also keeps the cholesterol level under control. People were ignorant about the various health benefits of lauki juice until Baba Ramdev revealed its advantages on a television show.
Lauki juice reached the zenith of popularity when Baba Ramdev advised people to consume lauki juice. Newspapers added further by reporting it as the “Baba Ramdev Effect”. Ayurveda mentions about the goodness of lake juice, but the credit for bringing this knowledge to the masses goes to Baba Ramdev. As soon as Baba Ramdev stated the benefits of lauki juice on the television, the juice was crowned as a “magical health drink”. Eventually, this healthy juice has found its way to the menu of juice shops too!
Some of the health benefits of lauki juice are:
- Drinking a glass of fresh lauki juice with salt provides refreshment during the hot summer months.
- Lauki juice not only aids in weight loss, but also imparts a natural glow to the skin on regular consumption.
- Lauki juice also aids in digestion and prevents acidity.
- It is therapeutic for diabetes. Alternative medicines suggest that consuming fresh lauki juice in the morning on an empty stomach, offers an effective cure for diabetes.
- Lauki juice prevents and treats urinary disorders and loss of excessive sodium from the body.
Bottle gourd or lauki has 96% water content and is a good choice for juicing. Lauki juice is a great source of dietary fiber. It contains Vitamins C, Vitamin B1 Thiamine, B2 Riboflavin, B3 Niacin, B6, Folate, DEF and Vitamin A. Bottle gourd juice is a storehouse of minerals. Some of them are calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. It is also low in fat and cholesterol, which makes it an ideal health drink.
How To Make Lauki Juice:
Preparing lauki juice is easy and cheap. Here is a simple lauki juice recipe for you to try:
- For preparing lauki juice at home, choose a fresh lauki or bottle gourd.
- Slice a small piece to taste and ensure that it is not bitter. Discard the lauki, if it is found to be bitter.
- Peel the lauki and cut into small pieces.
- Put the small pieces in a food processor or juicer for fresh lauki juice.
- Strained through a strainer and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now, enjoy your lauki juice.
Baba Ramdev also produced it on a large scale and made it commercially available. It is marketed by Patanjali Yogpeeth – Divya Yog Mandir Trust. This trust also sells their products locally and online.
Word Of Caution:
In 2010, the humble lauki juice was also in the news when a CSIR scientist died after drinking lauki juice. After this unfortunate case, a public advisory was issued to avoid such cases. The advisory suggested not to mix lauki juice with any other vegetable juice.
It is important to first taste a small piece of bottle gourd for bitterness. If the same is found to be bitter, then the discard the vegetable immediately. A research has revealed that a bitter bottle gourd has a high toxic component called Tetracyclic Triterpenoid Cucurbitacins, which can cause serious side effects.
The toxicity may show symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea or gastrointestinal bleeding. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Lauki juice owes its new found popularity to Baba Ramdev and TV! But Ayurveda states about it centuries ago—and that wisdom holds true even today. Go ahead, add a glass of lauki juice to your diet today!
Have you ever tried lauki juice? Did you enjoy the taste? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.