Mountain Climbers is a basic plyometric exercise that has been designed to tone your body and build lean muscles. In order to do this move the right way, you need to activate the core abdominal muscles both in your lower and upper body. It comes with several benefits. Some of them are building endurance, agility and performance while working out. The best thing about doing mountain climbers exercise is that it comes with many variations, which help you ease into the move in case you find it difficult. If you would like to know more about mountain climbers, the variations and benefits, you can definitely consider this article as your ultimate guide.
Types Of Mountain Climbers Exercise:
Mountain Climbers exercise comes with many variations. Read on to know more about them:
1. Basic Mountain Climber:
The Basic Mountain Climber move is a simple and effective exercise for the beginners. To do them the right way, follow the guidelines enlisted here.
- To begin with the movement, come to the ground in a push up position.
- Your face should be turned towards the floor. Keep your arms straight and bring them under the chest.
- Once you are settled, lift the right foot off the ground and raise the knee as far as possible to the chest area.
- Now go back to the first position and repeat with the first leg.
- Repeat 10-12 times. Try to increase the pace.
2. Standing Mountain Climbers:
The Standing Mountain Climbers is a challenging move and definitely something that will help you burn off thigh fat. Use the steps described here:
- This move is fun and burns off calories in no time. You need to jog in one place and bring your knees as high as you can.
- Come down to the floor, get into the usual push up position and change sides for about 10 times each.
- This would complete one rep.
- Jump up to come back to the first position.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times and try to make it up to 12 reps
3. Exercise Ball Mountain Climber:
The Exercise Ball Mountain Climber is one move that will help you tone the glutes, legs, hamstrings and thighs. In order to get them done, use the instructions enlisted here:
- Grab your stability ball and place both your hands on it. Both your hands should be about 18-20 inches away from one another.
- Extend your legs behind you so that you’re in a push up position. Your body should be straight and abs tight.
- Now pick your right foot and bend it as far as you can. It should reach the chest.
- Lower it back. This completes one rep.
- Now pick your left leg and repeat.
- Keep alternating your legs until 10 to 12 reps have been completed with both your legs.
4. Cross Body Mountain Climbers:
Cross Body Mountain Climbers are great for your abdominals, quadriceps and thighs. You can perfect this move by using the following instructions.
- Drop your body to the floor and come to a push up position.
- Keeping your abs tight, pick up the right foot and bring it towards the left shoulder area.
- Bring your leg back to the first position. This would complete one rep.
- Switch sides as well.
- You should repeat this move 10-12 times before you can call it an end.
Benefits Of Mountain Climbers Exercise:
Let’s have a look at the various benefits of Mountain Climbers exercise:
- Mountain Climbers is a compound exercise, which works several muscle groups in your body at the same time. It targets core areas like your glutes and legs while toning your hamstrings and quadriceps. Your shoulders and chest are also worked during this movement.
- This move will test and improve your agility. To pull off the power packed sets successfully, you must maintain your form and allow the weight to be distributed in different sections of the body to maintain the balance.
- Mountain Climbers are the best exercises when it comes to improving strength in your lower body area. However, you need to be in constant motion to elevate your heart rate and burn off the fat. Increase the speed with time and start doing it as a jump if you have been working out on a regular basis.
Once you get a hang of it, you will enjoy doing mountain climbers exercises. Talk to your trainer today to find a way to fit in this wonderful exercise in your workout regimen.
Does your exercise regimen include mountain climbers? Has it proven beneficial? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.