Is it a chore to include leafy vegetables in your regular diet? Forget about young kids, many adults too are weary of eating leafy veggies. But the fact remains that we all need green goodness to stay healthy.
Originated in Brussels, Belgium, Brussels sprout looks like a miniature cabbage. It contains sulforaphane, a chemical with potent anticancer properties. It also has properties that help to repair DNA cells.
Top 10 Brussels Sprout Recipes:
But how to cook Brussels sprout and include the goodness of it in your diet? Try these recipes!
1. Shredded Brussels Sprouts With Chorizo And Paprika:
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and add 1 cup chorizo sausage, diced small.
- Cook about five minutes until the chorizo is crispy.
- Add one thinly sliced shallots and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoon paprika and stir to coat everything. Then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the finely shredded Brussels sprouts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next Add 1cup chicken stock and stir well.
- Cook the Brussels sprouts for another 5 minutes until the pan has cooked off the chicken stock and the Brussels sprouts are tender.
- Squeeze a lemon onto the sprouts and serve with a sprinkle of pistachio.
2. Roasted Brussels Sprout And Wheat Berry Salad:
- Cook wheat berries, (that has been soaked overnight in hot water) in a saucepan with 2 cups of apple cider.
- Cook until the wheat berries are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Add half cup sliced Brussels sprouts, 1/3 cup cranberries, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder, a little nutmeg powder, 2-tablespoon coconut oil, and salt on a baking sheet.
- Toss to coat and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until the sprouts are nice and tender/lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and toss it with wheat berries.
- Serve at room temperature, topped with sliced raw almonds.
3. Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off the yellow outer leaves.
- Mix them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly.
- Sprinkle with kosher and serve immediately.
4. Hot Cheesy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Dip:
- Toss trimmed and quartered Brussels sprouts in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet along with cloves of garlic and roast in a preheated 400F oven until golden brown, flipping half way through.
- Next Squeeze the roasted garlic from the skins, mix a little chopped thyme, 4 ounces cream cheese, ¼ cup sour cream, ¼ cup mayonnaise ¾ cup shredded mozzarella, ¼ cup grated parmesan, salt and pepper with the roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Place in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 deg F oven for about 5-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top and bubbling on the sides.
5. Tortellini With Lemon And Brussels Sprouts:
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook Brussels sprouts for about 4 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter; add and cook thinly sliced yellow onion until translucent.
- With a large slotted spoon, transfer sprouts to skillet.
- Cook, until sprouts begin to brown.
- Add cooked cheese tortellini and toss with vegetables.
- Top with lemon zest and juice.
6. Brussels Sprouts Kebab:
- Marinate Brussels sprouts, bell pepper and mushrooms in low fat Italian dressing and thread it on skewers.
- Place on grill for two minutes until browned and soft.
7. Ginger, Tamarind Brussels Sprouts:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add finely grated ginger root.
- Quickly stir and cook the ginger for 30 seconds in the hot oil. Add finely sliced Brussels sprouts to the oil and cook until soft.
- Season with some salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the tamarind paste, hot water, and honey to a thin paste.
- Adjust the sweetness with more honey if desired.
- If it is too acidic, add a little more hot water.
- Serve the warm Brussels sprouts with a little sauce drizzled over it.
8. Bacon-Brussels Sprout Frittata:
- Stir chopped Black Forest Brussels sprouts into beaten eggs and cook in a greased skillet over low heat until it is set at the edges.Broil until set on top.
9. Cream-Braised Brussels Sprouts:
- Cut Brussels sprouts in wedges and cook it with butter and salt in a skillet until nicely browned.
- Pour in a cup of cream and let it simmer for some time.
- Once it has reduced a little, add some lemon juice.
- Simmer a little more until it thickens and glazes the sprout.
- Serve hot.
10. Brussels Sprouts And Egg Salad With Hazelnuts:
- Peel the leaves of the Brussels sprout and place in a bowl and set aside.
- Toast hazelnuts in a dry pan until the skin starts peeling off.
- Rub off the skin of the nuts, chop it, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add garlic, and sauté.
- Add Brussels sprouts leaves and sauté until slightly wilted or lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped hazelnuts, and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Those who thought Brussels sprouts were unappetizing, think again! These nutritious sprouts can be turned into sumptuous delights with some experimentation. If you are not one of those who fancy experimenting in the kitchen, simply try one of these recipes to reap the health benefits of this sprout!
Did you find this article helpful? Do share your views with us in the comments section.