Picking breakfast cereal may look like an easy task, but when you’re in that supermarket it can get quite confusing. You’re faced with the dilemma of either following a healthy friend’s advice or what the celebrities are endorsing this season. Some breakfast cereals guarantee more energy, others more nutrition, and all this while the ingredients list sound similar and just as inviting. But look closely and you spot high amounts of sugar and no nutrition. Here are 7 handy tips that’ll help you pick a healthy breakfast cereal today:
1. Go for cereals that have a good amount of fiber content. Other than fiber, you should also look for whole grains in them. Whole grain cereals help in smoother digestion and optimal body processes help in better weight regulation and management.
2. Avoid cereals made of refined grain as these cereals are more like consuming empty calories and do not serve any health benefit purpose as such.
3. Avoid fat-free cereals. These cereals are often loaded with artificial sugars, flavours and other preservative. Also, fat-free cereals end up being quite low on taste – and if you’re eating the cereal day after day, you can’t afford to compromise on the taste front, can you?
4. Preferably, pick a breakfast cereal that has a natural flavour to it. A bit of dried fruits here and almonds, raisins there will act as a good addition to your healthy bowl of cereal.
5. You might have noticed an ingredient named bran in the title of your cereal box. Bran is a good thing, as it helps in perking up your daily fiber intake with each serving, thus keeping you satisfied and full for a longer period of time. Bran has also been linked to weight loss, as opposed to refined grains.
6. Make sure you check sugar content on your cereal box. It should not constitute more than 25% of your total calorie intake from cereal (per serving).
7. Two healthy options of cereals for you and your family are:
- Hot Cereals: Packed with whole grains, hot cereals are available in germ, bran, flakes, grits, groats and other forms. Go for unsweetened versions and add your fav fruit, a few nuts and you are good to go.
- Cold Cereals: Cold cereals are available in biscuits, puffs and various other healthy forms forms. Go for the 100 % wheat bran variety. When combined with skimmed milk, cold cereals make for an excellent quick breakfast treat which is high in fiber, protein and low in fat content.