Have you ever found yourself getting injured while running? You must have been surprised because all these days you’ve been using all the right techniques, but still you injured yourself. Well, I have some news for you! Your injury might be the result of a small, but common mistake. Have you been exercising or warming up before you begin? According to most researches, those who don’t warm up before exercising are prone to injuries.
Speaking of running, it takes a lot of hard work and time to develop a good and regular habit. It can be frustrating when you take so much time to build your fitness level, and then suddenly find yourself injured. It only takes a few weeks to lose all the fitness you’ve developed for so long. Knowing how to treat injuries is important, but the most important thing is to know the ways to prevent these injuries in the first place. And stretches and exercises help you to come out of this condition. This will improve your performance and at the same time ensure that you don’t get any injury again. If you simply stretch for 5 minutes before running, I guarantee you’ll be astounded with the results.
Top Injury Prevention Exercises For Runners:
Here is listed some of the best exercises that you can practice to prevent injuries while running:
1. Ankle Mobilization:
This move increases flexibility in your ankles and encourages a full range of motion with every step you take. To do them properly, use the following steps:
- Kneel using your left leg.
- Take your right heel with the help of your left hand and gently place your right hand on the insides of your right knee.
- Take your right knee over the toe.
- Hold for a second
- Come back to the first position.
- This will complete one rep.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Switch legs.
2. Hip Flexor Stretch:
The hip flexor stretch helps in reducing aches in your lower back area.
- Kneel using your right leg. Keep your left leg on the floor right in front of you.
- As you gently squeeze the right glute, bend the upper body towards the left side. You will now feel a stretch.
- Hold for 20 seconds.
- Come to first position.
- Switch legs and repeat.
3. Half Kneeling Clam:
This move helps in developing a running form that is strong and efficient.
- Kneel using your left leg near an exercise bench, which is placed firmly on the ground.
- Take a resistance band and loop it around the bench.
- Now take it and loop it around your right thigh.
- Take the right knee and push it outwards.
- Keep your right foot on the ground.
- Hold it there for 5 seconds.
- This will finish one rep.
- Perform 5 reps.
- Switch legs.
4. Planks With Hip Extension:
This move encourages a good and healthy posture.
- Come down to a plank position.
- Your weight should be distributed equally throughout.
- As you keep yourself parallel to the ground, lift the right foot only a couple of inches off the ground.
- Hold yourself for a second.
- Now lower the right leg.
- Switch sides and repeat.
- Finish 8 reps.
5. Lunge To Butt Kick:
This exercise helps you maintain a good knee position while running.
- Stand straight with feet slightly apart.
- Take the left foot and do a reverse lunge.
- Push through the right heel.
- Come back to first position and kick your butt.
- Repeat 8 times.
Running is therapeutic, relaxing, and addictive. Don’t let injuries keep you from your favorite activity. Try these exercises and keep injuries miles away!
Do you like running? Have you ever faced any injuries? How did you deal with them? Share with us in the comments section below.