Flax is a tiny power packed seed that is full of goodness. This seed has been used since ancient times, through ancient civilizations and cultures. Archaeological evidences suggest the use of flax seeds since the times of Nefertiti in Egypt. Usually cultivated for the naturally strong fibre, flax or “Tisi” or “Alsi” as it was known in India, was used to augment the diet of the hard working villagers.
Flax Seeds Benefits :
1. This seed hits the nutritional payload and is used as a medicinal supplement even today. Flax is known for its cholesterol reducing properties. Flax seeds warm the human body. The peculiarity of the seed is such that it needs to be eaten as a ground meal. If eaten as a whole, flax seed cannot be digested by the body. Flax seeds, if grounded and taken daily with water, provide the necessary amounts of fibre to keep your digestive system working well. Just keep your fluid intake high. How much you eat, depends on your reasons for eating flax seeds. On their own, the seeds are crunchy and tasty if they are toasted. However as ironic it sounds, what makes it more palatable, actually destroys the goodness. So, the local bakeries that are promoting flax seed topped bread as the best gift you can give to yourself, they are not being very truthful to you.This is the most prominent of flax seeds benefits,
2. The best gift that a couple of spoonfuls of ground flax seed can give you, will be the short chain omega 3 fatty acids. Whatever your area of interest, or your choice of food groups, omega 3 fatty acids spell good news. Omega 3 fatty acids are generally present in fish oil. If you are like me, and eat fish only rarely and only if it is fried, you will certainly be missing out the benefits of lower cholesterol and beautiful skin.
3. Flax seeds are another way to get what nature gave pescatarians. They actually contain alpha lineoic acids, to be specific. This acid helps to reduce the inflammations that cause chronic heart ailments, arthritis, asthama, diabetes and it even helps guard your body against cancers-colon cancer to be more specific. Eaten in combination with walnuts and fish, flax seeds can be of real help.
4. The high amount of fibre in ground flax seed is responsible for the cholesterol lowering effects of flax. High fibre diets help you feel full, so you tend to eat a little less, your blood sugar is stabilized and your intestines function well.
5. Antioxidants and phytochemicals to me spell an advertisement for an anti aging cream. If all the benefits come from flax seeds at a fraction of the cost…bring it on! Flax seeds contain ligans, which work in our intestines and convert to become substances that balance out female hormones. These are proven to promote fertility, reduce the risk of breast cancer and reduce peri menopausal symptoms.
Enjoy all these benefits of flax seeds without the help of a doctor or expensive medicines and from a tiny seed. Try to locate flax seeds in the aisles of your local supermarket, or just call your roadside grocer. Gift this wonderful seed to your body today and everyday!