Shingles–that sounds almost musical! But for people suffering from this painful disease, music is far from the mind!
Shingles is caused by a virus called varicella zoster that also causes chickenpox. If you have ever been infected with chickenpox, you may still have the remnants of the virus, hanging around in your sensory nerve roots—waiting to rear it ugly head as Shingles!
Shingles can cause rashes in your body that not only look ugly but are also very painful. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, so your only option is to wait it out. But we don’t want you to suffer endlessly! That’s why we have compiled this list of 17 amazing home remedies to treat shingles.
Symptoms of Shingles:
- Severe physical stress
- Emotional stress
- Low immunity
- Gastrointestinal symptoms
Home Remedies for Shingles:
1. Cold Packs:Cold packs are useful to sooth the pain that accompanies shingles. You can place a cold napkin on the blisters on the affected area and put some ice water on it. Apply for 25 minutes to lower the pain. You can use cold milk as a substitute too.
2. Rest:This is an obvious tip! When you are unwell, no matter the disease, your body requires time to heal itself. So, give yourself a break, put up your feet, and rest a while.
3. Anti-Inflammatory Drug:Consult your doctor for any anti-inflammatory drug. Ibuprofen can lower inflammation and fight pain. Aspirin can also be used as an option to reduce the pain of shingles.
4. Apply Creams:You can rub a topical local anesthetic cream to get relief. Make sure to consult your doctor before using them on the blistered skin.
5. Avoid Popping the Blisters:Popping the blisters can be tempting—but do not do it! It will only prolong the healing time. This also can cause permanent scarring and further infection.
6. Keep the Infection to Yourself:Shingles is contagious. Stay away from the ones who are at risk of getting shingles such as people with autoimmune problems, cancer patients, and children who have never had chicken pox.
7. Relax:For the discomfort that comes with shingles, learn self-hypnosis or meditation to relax. Shingles pain can be stressful and increase the pain perception. So, learn to take your mind off the pain as much as you can.
8. Take an Antidepressant:Few doses of antidepressant can give you relief from shingles pain. Antidepressants block the removal of a neurotransmitter known as serotonin. Extra serotonin can be useful to keep pain signals at bay. Just don’t make it a habit!
9. Keep the Area Clean, Dry and Exposed:The blisters must be kept clean, dry, and exposed. Avoid scratching or bursting the shingles blisters. Do not tie a bandage on the affected area. If you want it to heal quickly, let it have as much fresh air as you can.
10. Applications of Calamine Lotion:Itching is one of the most irritating symptoms of shingles. Apply calamine lotion frequently to prevent itching. You can also use vitamin E oil or aloe vera plant gel for the same.
11. Dusting with Colloidal Oatmeal:Dusting with colloidal oatmeal can help to lower pain and itching. This product is available in many health shops or you can even buy it online. Use this amazing product and you’ll surely thank us for recommending it!
12. Burow’s Solution:You can make warm compresses with Burow’s solution to sooth the pain. Apply this on the blisters for 15 minutes 4 times a day till the blisters disappear.
13. Flaxseed Oil:Flaxseed oil has essential fatty acids, which is required for a healthy system and skin. Consume 1 tsp flaxseed oil twice a day to reduce the unbearable pain that can inflict you when you get shingles.
14. Increase the Intake of Selenium:This antioxidant works best when taken with vitamin E. consume 100 micrograms everyday to lower the pain on the affected area. Bonus: Using this combination can do wonders for your skin!
15. Capsaicin:This is a natural compound that is obtained from cayenne. This is an effective pain reliever, when used topically. Capsaicin is used as an active ingredient in various ointments like Zostrix. Buy it from a drug store and apply 4-5 times daily to lower the pain. Capsaicin blocks the pain signals from your nerves and reduces the pain of herpes zoster.
16. Cat’s-Claw Extract:This has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that can provide immediate relief from the symptoms of shingles. Consume 1,000 mg thrice times a day and you’ll be surprised by the relief you get.
Caution: avoid taking this if you are pregnant.
17. Echinacea and Goldenseal:You can combine Echinacea and Goldenseal, both of which have antiviral properties. These two herbs stimulate the immune system and detoxify the body to cure herpes. Take 1/4 tsp tincture in tea or juice 3 times a day. You can also mix this with Echinacea, nettle, goldenseal and Siberian ginseng to boost the immune system and lower infection.
You may have never heard of shingles, but when you do get infected with it, it’ll leave you wishing for instant relief. Try these home remedies for shingles—they are tried and tested. You may need to use more than these tips to get relief, but they will work.
Try them, and leave a comment in the section below to help our other readers too!