The benefits of whole wheat have been known for years. But, its health benefits depend on the form in which you are consuming it. Processed wheat does not contain the best parts of the grain. During the processing of the grain, 40% of its original content is removed, making it less nutritious. 100% whole wheat food contain the wheat germ and the bran. So, when you eat the whole wheat food, you gain the many wonderful health benefits that come with the grain. Whole wheat in its original form is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber, manganese and magnesium. Some of the many benefits of whole wheat are mentioned here:
Skin Benefits Of Whole Wheat:Whole grain foods, including whole wheat, are well-known for the many amazing benefits that they provide to the skin. The grains are unrefined and contain all the essential nutrients that contribute to beautiful and healthy skin. Let us take a look at some of the ways that whole wheat benefits your skin.
1. Provides Nourishment:The selenium present in whole grains, including whole wheat, does amazing things for your skin. One of the skin benefits you gain when you eat whole wheat is nourished skin that is made possible by the antioxidant properties of selenium.
2. Protects Against Sun Damage:The antioxidant properties of whole wheat protects your skin from the damaging effects of the sun. It also protects the skin from other environmental damages.
3. Provides Beautiful Skin:Who does not want beautiful, radiant skin? Well, with the whole wheat foods, you can get just that! The Vitamin E and zinc present in whole wheat will give you beautiful, healthy and glowing skin.
4. Promotes Skin Elasticity:Selenium is a mineral that offers wonderful effects to your skin. Acting as a natural anti-aging agent, selenium offers you a radiant skin. It also retains your skin’s elasticity.
5. Fights Acne:Whole wheat has rich fiber content, which helps cleanse your body by removing harmful toxins. When these toxins are removed, your skin becomes less prone to acne breakouts.
6. Prevents Skin Cancers:The selenium found in whole wheat and other whole grains, is believed to protect you from certain skin cancers.
Hair Benefits Of Whole Wheat:Like skin, your hair too needs foods that are healthy and nutrient-rich to be strong and problem-free. With the minerals and vitamins present in whole wheat, your hair too can get the benefits.
7. Makes Hair Lustrous:Whole wheat has zinc content. One of the many powers of this mineral is the ability to give you healthy and lustrous hair.
8. Protects Hair From Damage:Zinc also helps in nourishing your hair, keeping it safe from damages caused by the environment and other health-related factors.
Health Benefits Of Whole Wheat:Adding whole wheat to your diet can be one of the best decisions you make for your health. It has a bounty of essential nutrients that can improve your overall health. It can also prevent and cure many diseases and illnesses. Here is a brief look at how whole wheat can benefit your health:
9. Provides Energy:The Vitamin B present in whole wheat provides your body with the energy it needs to function properly. This means that your body functions more efficiently, and so do you!
10. Promotes Proper Bowel Movement:Whole wheat is a rich source of dietary fiber. When your body receives the right amount of fiber, it affects your bowel movement. The bran in whole wheat promotes better bowel movement, thereby preventing and providing relief from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
11. Reduces The Risk Of Heart Diseases:Making whole wheat, and other whole grains, a part of your daily diet is known to keep away coronary heart diseases at bay. Experts recommend 6 ounces of whole grain a day for women while men should consume about 8 ounces every day.
12. Boosts Eye Health:The Vitamin E, niacin and zinc in whole wheat lowers the risk of macular and cataract degeneration. They also help in slowing the progression of loss of vision.
13. Helps Diabetics:The high fiber content of whole wheat makes it the ideal grain for those who suffer from diabetes. It helps in maintaining blood glucose level in a diabetic’s body.
14. Cleanses Your System:An increase in the consumption of whole wheat foods helps in treating constipation. The fiber in the grain detoxifies your system and helps in keeping your colon and intestines healthy.
15. Prevents Cancer:The regular intake of whole wheat food products can reduce the risk of developing various types of cancers.
16. Reduces Weight Gain:Whole wheat is a popular grain choice among weight-watchers as it helps in preventing weight gain. The consumption of whole wheat food products help in improving your metabolism, making it easier for you to shed those unwanted extra pounds. They also keep you full longer than other food types as they have more fiber content.
17. Improves Mental Health:According to the studies conducted by researchers at University of Maryland Medical Center, Vitamin E and the B vitamins present in whole wheat may help you in preventing diseases that cause mental decline, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
18. Regulates PMS Symptoms:The B Vitamins in whole wheat and other whole grains are known to ease PMS symptoms. Magnesium, which is found in whole grains, is also known to be beneficial for PMS-related symptoms. There really is no end to the benefits that you get when you increase your intake of whole wheat on a daily basis. There are many food products that are made of whole wheat to choose from.It makes it easy for you to add it to your diet. Various types of whole wheat breads, pastas, cereals, etc. are available if you want to consume more whole wheat foods. You can even make your favorite desserts and sweet treats with whole wheat flour to provide better health to your entire family!
Delicious Recipes With Whole Wheat:Wondering how to pep your meal times with whole wheat? Here are some recipe ideas to help you out!
1. Yummy Bread With Fig, Walnut, And Date:What sounds better than bread that has the goodness of whole wheat, figs, walnuts and dates? This is a simple recipe that is not hard to make. So give it a try! Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup-whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup-all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons-baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon-salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup-chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup-low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon-finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon-ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon-ground cloves
- 2/3 cup-chopped dried figs
- 1/3 cup-chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup-packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons-canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the low-fat buttermilk, lemon rind, nutmeg and cloves in a saucepan over medium heat. Make sure you do not let it boil. Add the figs and dates as you remove the pan from the heat and let it stand while they become soft.
- Take a bowl and blend the oil, sugar and eggs with a whisk until the mixture is well-blended. Take the cooled buttermilk mixture and add it to the bowl.
- Now take the flours and salt and baking powder and mix them in a large bowl. Add in the buttermilk mix and stir until it gets moist. Next, take the batter and spoon it on an 8×4 cooking spray-coated loaf pan and sprinkle chopped walnuts.
- Bake it at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Once it is baked, let the pan cool and remove the bread. Cool the bread again on a rack and serve it when you want!
2. Glorious Breakfast Muffins:There is nothing quite like starting your day with a wholesome breakfast treat and these muffins are exactly that! Ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup-whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup-all-purpose flour
- 1 cup-regular oats
- 3/4 cup-packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon-wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons-baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon-salt
- 1 cup-plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup-mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup-chopped pitted dates
- 3/4 cup-chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup-chopped dried pineapple
- 3 tablespoons-ground flax seed
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take 18 muffin liners and muffin cups and spray them with cooking spray.
- Mix the flours together and add the oats, sugar, bran, soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk.
- Mix the egg, banana and yogurt and add it to the flour mix and stir until it is slightly moistened.
- Now, fold in the pineapple, walnuts and dates into the mixture.
- Next, spoon the batter into your muffin cups and sprinkle with the flax seed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- When baked, remove the muffins from the baking pan and cool them on a rack.
- Once they have cooled, you can serve them and enjoy the goodness of these delicious, hearty muffins!
3. Sinful Dark Chocolate Biscotti:Enjoy a sinfully delicious dark chocolate treat that is filled with the wholesome goodness of whole wheat flour! Ingredients:
- 9.5 ounces whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons- flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon- baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon- salt
- 1/3 cup- granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup- packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large- egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons- vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup- dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup- unsalted almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix and whisk the flour, baking soda, flax seed and salt.
- Mix the egg, egg whites and sugars in a bowl and whisk for 2 minutes at high speed in a blender.
- Now add the flour and the egg mixtures together and fold in the chocolate and almonds.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions equally and roll each portion to make a 6-inch roll.
- Take the rolls and place them 3 inches apart on parchment paper and pat them to make them about 1-inch thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes.
- When they are firm, take them out and let them cool on a rack.
- Once cool, cut them diagonally into ½ inch pieces.
- Place them on a baking sheet and reduce your oven’s heat to 325 degrees.
- Let them bake on either side for 7 minutes each.
- Now remove them from the oven and let them cool on a rack.
- Once they are ready, you can munch on the cookies any time you want and let the goodness of whole wheat fill your body!