It is a beautiful evening, and all you want to do is take a walk in the neighborhood park. But you cannot. What should be an enjoyable thought soon turns frightening. You know what taking a walk entails for you – unstoppable coughing, sneezing and worse, itchy eyes. Or maybe you are busy organizing your closet and suddenly, your eyes start to itch. Allergies sure can ruin a beautiful day! Itchy eyes along with stuffy nose, sneezing, and coughing are a part of allergic symptoms of your body.
When your eyes itch, all you want to do is to scratch or rub them. But DO NOT scratch or rub; doing so will only aggravate eye irritation. So what can you do to derive relief from itchy eyes? There are numerous natural home remedies that provide respite from itchy eyes. Some of the quick home remedies to get rid of itchy eyes are explained here:
1. Cold Compress:The first thing you need to do when itchiness strike your eyes is to splash some cold water effected eye. Then, wrap some ice cubes or ice packs in a clean cotton towel and place it on your closed eyelids. This will help you get relief from the irritation.
2. Cucumber Slices:This is one of the most common remedies that effectively treat eye irritation and inflammation. Cut two slices of cucumber and place them in ice cold water for about 10 minutes. Then, place these cucumber slices on your closed eyelids. The cool cucumber helps in soothing your eyes and reduces soreness.
3. Tea Bags:Tea contains bioflavonoid that fights viral and bacterial infections. It can also effectively reduce eye inflammation. Put a moist green or black tea bag on the affected eye for several minutes. Repeat this 5-6 times in a day. If your eyes are swollen, moisten the tea bag with cool water. The tannic acid present in tea will soothe your itchy eye. A weak solution of tea can be used as an eye wash too.
4. Water:No matter how many times you have heard this before, it needs to be said again – DRINK WATER! If you drink plenty of water, your eyes will stay hydrated, which will prevent eye irritation.
5. Chilled Spoons:Place metal spoons in glass of cold water. When the spoons are chilled, put one of them on your affected eye. As the spoon begins to warm, switch it with another chilled spoon from the glass.
Continue switching the spoons until the swelling (if there is any) subsides. The cold temperature of the spoon helps to constrict the blood vessel, which in turn diminishes the puffiness and redness of the affected eye.
6. Witch Hazel:American Indian use an herb called witch hazel for eye inflammation. Use a cotton ball or gauze pad and soak it in witch hazel as a compress over your closed eyes. This medicinal herb contains astringent properties that help in reducing eye swelling.
7. Aloe-vera Juice:Aloe Vera is a multi-purpose plant. If you are suffering from an allergic reaction, extract the juice from the leaves of the aloe-vera plant and freeze it. Then, mix it with cold water and apply it with cotton balls on the affected eye. It is very soothing to the eye and helps provide relief from the irritation.
8. Frozen Vegetables:Wrap a bag of frozen vegetables in a towel and place it on the eye. Leave it for around 10 minutes. This will provide relief from eye pain and irritation.
9. Castor Oil:Take a sterilized dropper and suck 100% pure castor oil into it. Put one drop in the affected eye.
Repeat it thrice a day. The castor oil will soothe the eye and reduce its swelling and irritation. Most of the commercial eye drops use castor oil due to its exceptional anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Potatoes:Grate a potato and place it on the affected eye. This humble vegetable contains astringent and helps reduce inflammation. Potatoes may also be used as a poultice and placed over the eye for 15 minutes. Apply this method for three successive nights to cure eye inflammation.
Hope, you find these simple home remedies helpful in treating your itchy eyes. Do share your feedback in the comments section below.