Yarrow is one such plant that is known for its multiple healing and medicinal properties. Found mostly in parts of Europe and the US, the plant has highly segmented leaves and lavender or white colored flowers. The branches, flowers and leaves of the plant are used to make yarrow tea. It is also used to treat a number of health conditions.
Top 10 Yarrow Tea Health Benefits:Here are the major health benefits of yarrow tea:
1. Relief From Stress:Yarrow contains thujone, a mild hypnotic compound. This works in the same way as marijuana, but without the side effects. If you take it before hitting the bed, your nerves will be relieved and you can manage your stress level effectively. You can also use it as a natural remedy for anxiety and tension.
2. Cleanses And Detoxifies The Body:Yarrow tea consumption helps in blood cleansing and detoxification of the body. The tea works as a diuretic and prompts sweating and urination. Those with water retention issues can find relief from its use.
3. Aids In Blood Clotting:As yarrow helps constrict blood vessels, people with a blood clotting problem will find relief from its usage. It is antibacterial in nature and helps treat wounds too.
4. Appetite Booster And Digestive Aid:Those suffering from recurrent stomach issues can get benefits from consuming yarrow tea. It acts as an anti-spasmodic agent and relaxes muscles in the intestines and stomach. It aids the digestive system and helps the body absorb more nutrients. People flatulence problem can find relief by ingesting this tea!
5. Relieves Allergic Symptoms:Yarrow tea is beneficial for people dealing with various types of allergies. The natural drying property of yarrow helps ease post nasal drips and chronic sinusitis. It also soothes the swelled nasal glands and offers relief in such times.
6. Eases Menstruation Cramps:Women who are suffering from conventional PMS medications can try yarrow tea. It facilitates menstrual flow and relieves cramping. However, you need to talk with a doctor before using the tea.
7. Helps Improve Gallbladder Health:The compounds in yarrow tea facilitate bile flow in the gallbladder. This in turn enhances digestive capability in the body and thwarts gallstone formation.
8. Works As Anti Inflammatory Agent:Yarrow contains anti inflammatory properties. Those suffering from bouts of rheumatoid arthritis will find relief from its usage. Its usage also helps to remove uric acid from bone joints.
9. Aids Reproductive Health:Yarrow is said to improve the reproductive health. Women with irregular periods can get benefits from its usage. Its use helps in treating urinary tract infections as well.
10. Treats Cold:When you have fever and cold, drinking hot yarrow tea offers relief. When you feel that your fever is rising, drink yarrow tea. It helps open skin pores and allows sweating, which brings down the fever.
Word Of Caution:Yarrow tea should not be consumed the way you drink regular or herbal tea. Its strong herbal properties means that you need to use it in controlled dosages. After drinking yarrow tea for a few days, you need to discontinue its consumption for a brief period. It causes urination and sweating, which flushes out the toxins from the body. Pregnant women should not consume yarrow tea as it can increase the chances of miscarriage. Since it causes mild sedating effects on humans, it is better that you do not drive a car after drinking this tea.
Yarrow tea and its benefits are often underplayed. However, since time immemorial this tea has been used to offer relief from pain, colds and cough. The next time you feel down with cold or joint pain, brew yourself a cup of this wondrous tea and wait for it to do its magic!
Do you know of any other benefits of yarrow tea? Share with us in the comments section below.