Feeling dizzy is no fun—that’s stating the obvious! It can strike anyone, any time. There’s hardly any warning time. A dizzy spell can leave a person disoriented and exhausted.
Anemia, dehydration, head injury—there are many reasons that can leave you slightly wobbly and make you feel like your head is spinning. There are many symptoms that accompany dizziness, the most common being shortness of breath, nausea, chest pains and weakness in the limbs.
Top 25 Home Remedies for Dizziness:It is important to understand if your dizziness is caused by an underlying health condition because that would require a trip to the doctor. But once you are in the grip of a dizzy spell, there a number of home remedies available that can provide relief.
1. Take Deep Breaths:As already mentioned, one of the symptoms of dizziness is shortness of breath. That is why taking deep breaths can be a counter-reaction to it and help you recover from your dizzy spell. This can be done by breathing slowly and deeply, concentrating on getting your breathing back to normal by trying to fill up the area just below your stomach with air. You can also count while you inhale and exhale. This has a tremendous calming effect on your nerves.
2. Exercises to Cure Dizziness:Sometimes when you feel dizzy, you can perform some simple exercises to help you handle your light-headedness. One of the simplest exercises to perform would be to stand up straight and then move your neck – first clockwise and then counter-clockwise. This helps to relieve your dizziness and also decreases your level of fatigue to a considerable extent.
3. Drink a Lot of Water:As we already know, dehydration is one of the major causes of dizziness. So, needless to say, drinking loads of water and keeping yourself hydrated is a sure shot way of avoiding any kind of dizzy spells. Out of all the various remedies for dizziness, this is probably the easiest and the simplest to do.
4. Massages Boosts Blood Circulation:It is no secret that massages are a great way to relax your mind and body. The calming effects of massages have been known to cure many ailments. It is said that massages can increase the level of blood flow within the body, which in turn relaxes your nervous system, which eventually can help to cure dizziness.
6. Chewing or Consuming Ginger:It has been revealed via extensive research and studies that ginger has the ability to effectively counter dizziness. Whether you chew raw ginger or intake ginger tea, either of them is good for remedying light-headedness and dizziness. It is believed that ginger can improve blood circulation and is able to cure dizziness.
7. Consuming Yogurt:Many people suffer from the delusion that yogurt is not good for health. This is a misconception.
Yogurt is extremely good for your health and is an excellent treatment for dizziness. Research has proven that consuming a bowl of yogurt at the onset of a dizzy spell can provide relief. If having bland yogurt does not suit you, you can always mix it up with some slices of fruits.
8. Drinking Lemon Water:Lemon water—just reading it makes one feel fresh! The easiest way to treat dizziness is to drink lemon water. Adding a dash of lemon to water with a spoonful of sugar is an effective remedy for dizziness. Lemon water increases the amount of glucose content in the body, which helps to fight dizziness.
9. Add Garlic to Your Diet:If garlic is not already a part of your daily diet, then make sure to include it now! If you do not like the taste of garlic in your day-to-day foods, then you can boil a few crushed garlic cloves, steep it for some time, strain the solution and then drink it to get relief from dizziness.
10. Mustard and Salt Solution:Another solution that you can try is mixing mustard, salt, vinegar and pepper to a glass of water and drinking it daily. This too increases blood circulation, which prevents excessive dizziness.
11. Concoction of Indian Gooseberries and Coriander Seeds:Drinking a blend of Indian gooseberries and coriander seeds with a glass of water is another helpful remedy for dizziness. This concoction is created by making a paste of Indian gooseberries and then adding the paste along with the coriander seeds to a glass of water and leaving it overnight. The next day it should be strained and drunk. Since, Indian gooseberries are supposed to be rich in vitamin A and C, they are helpful in curing any and all the symptoms of dizziness.
12. Drinking Milk and Basil:Take a few basil leaves and boil it in milk and drink that milk every night before going to bed. It will effectively cure you of dizziness.This is also considered to be one of the best home remedies for dizziness.
13. Blend of Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey:Add to a glass of either cold or hot water a mixture of apple cider vinegar along with honey and drink it three times a day. The blend of these ingredients helps to maintain the blood pressure and also act as a superb remedy for solving the issues related to dizziness.
14. Eat Nutmeg Powder and Cumin Seeds:Eating a mixture of nutmeg powder and cumin seeds, at least thrice daily, is very useful for treating dizziness. This is among one of the best home remedies for dizziness.
15. Mixture of Almonds and Pumpkin Seeds:This is one of the best permanent remedies for dizziness. First, take a little wheat along with about 12 almonds and pumpkin seeds. Mix these together and soak them overnight. The next morning make a paste out of this mixture while adding some cloves to it. Now, boil this mixture in some milk and add some sugar to it. Drink it regularly and you will never complain of dizziness again.
16. Drinking Celery Juice:If the reason behind your dizziness is low blood pressure, then drinking celery juice on a regular basis is an effective remedy for it. It is a fairly simple remedy in comparison to the other home remedies available for dizziness.
17. Taking Ginko Biloba:Ginko biloba is an herb which can be taken either in its raw form or as a capsule to increase the blood circulation in the inner ear. It is a useful herbal remedy for the cure of dizziness.
18. Consuming Feverfew:Feverfew is another herb that provides an effective remedy for dizziness. It can be consumed as a liquid extract, tablet or capsule. It is good for improving blood circulation in the body.
19. Eating Foods that are Rich in Iron:There are several foods such as spinach, lentils, blackstrap molasses and many others, which are rich in iron content. Eating such foods helps in fighting the problem of anemia, which is a major cause for dizziness. If eating these foods does not appeal to you, then you can always have iron capsules.
20. Drinking Chamomile Tea:It is said that chamomile tea helps in decreasing mental tension, which in turn helps in reducing dizziness.
21. Drinking Hibiscus Tea:Similar to chamomile tea, hibiscus tea also possesses the same effect of reducing stress and tension levels, which help in curing dizziness. It also helps to fight exhaustion and muscle pain to a huge extent.
22. Doing yoga and Meditation:Another simple remedy is doing yoga and meditation. Yoga keeps you fit and healthy while relaxing your muscles and giving flexibility to your body. Meditation calms your nerves and soothes your mind, which in turn also provides a further calming effect on your nerves and muscles. All of these help in curing dizziness.
23. Consuming Almond and Watermelon Seeds:A major cause of dizziness can also be vertigo. Consuming almond and watermelon seeds in a particular way can cure you of your problem with vertigo. First of all, soak about 8 watermelon and almond seeds along with the wheat grains and poppy seeds in water for an entire night. The next morning, make a paste out of the soaked ingredients. Fry these with ghee along with 2 cloves, then mix the fried paste in milk and drink it. Do this for a week and be assured that your problem of vertigo will be as good as gone.
24. Avoid Smoking:If you happen to be a chain smoker or even an occasional smoker, who suffer from the problem of dizziness, then you should seriously consider quitting. Smoking, in general, is injurious to health, but if the nicotine is causing you to feel dizzy, then it is time for you to to stop smoking before your problem turns into something more serious.
25. Sleep Properly:One of the major causes of dizziness is sleep deprivation. If you do not get the requisite 8 hours of sleep, then it is not surprising that you feel dizzy! This happens because your brain is not getting the appropriate amount of rest that it requires to function properly throughout the day. So, make sure that you get a good night sleep and hopefully your problem of dizziness will vanish.
As discussed earlier, there can be many causes for dizziness. A complete list would include the following – inadequate blood supply to the brain, vision related ailments, ear related ailments, dehydration, stroke, internal bleeding, head injury, migraines, anemia, nervous breakdown and light-headedness. These causes are generally accompanied with certain symptoms which indicates that dizziness is about to occur. Chest pain, vomiting, nausea, shortness of breath, stiffness in neck, unsteadiness, changes in vision, feeling of faintness and false sense of motion are all symptoms that accompany dizziness.
The above mentioned home remedies are some of the most effective ways to treat dizziness . Following all or most of them on a regular basis can offer relief from dizziness. Most of these remedies are really easy to do and would not be hassle, even for the laziest of the lot.
Even simpler than drinking and eating these ingredients is performing some of the more straightforward tasks such as yoga, meditation, exercises and concentration. All these tasks do not require any kind of prior preparation. A major plus point regarding these remedies is that along with curing dizziness, they also enhance the quality of your health.
Finally, apart from these home remedies, there are certain other things than can provide relief . Quit smoking, drink plenty of juices, avoid too much work pressure, sleep well—all these are simple steps you can take to keep dizziness at bay. Most importantly, get your body in order and make sure you eat healthy. A healthy body can combat any disease better, including dizziness.
Do you suffer from frequent dizzy spells? Do you have an underlying health condition that causes dizziness? What do you do to get relief? Please share with us in the comments section below.