This bright red vegetable dotting the market has so much to offer! But the first thing that strikes us when we see a beetroot is its color! But, hidden inside that bright color are many health benefits.
Beetroot can be used for many purposes and in many ways. Beetroot juice is used to boost energy and improve athletic performances. It is also useful for maintaining good eye sight. Beetroot is rich in vitamins, magnesium, and bioflavonoid. This nutritious vegetable helps to lower the triglyceride level in the body, which is a form of fat, in the blood. It also boosts the natural production of hormones in the body. In fact, beetroot is used to treat many diseases. Despite all these amazing properties, beetroot can be dangerous too.
10 Beetroot Side Effects:‘All that glitters is not gold’. In the case of beetroot, all that looks amazing need not be good for our health! The consumption of beetroot provides many health benefits, but at the same time its consumption also brings many side effects. Here are some side effects of beetroot:
1. Iron And Copper Condition:People suffering from hemochromatosis or Wilson Disease should avoid the overconsumption of beetroot as it leads to potential accumulation of copper and iron in the body. Hemochromatosis is an iron overload condition in the body, while Wilson disease does not allow a person’s body to lose excess copper. Beetroot is packed with both iron and copper and can definitely make these two conditions worse.
2. Beeturia:According to the British Medical Journal, a certain percentage of the population suffers from red urine and coloration of blood, which take place after consuming beetroot. This condition of coloration of blood is called beeturia. Although, non-serious, this side effect can cause panic in some people. So, if you see red urine, don’t panic! It’s just all that beetroot in your body! ,
3. Nausea And Diarrhea:Beetroot can also cause nausea, stomach upset and diarrhea in some people. A concentrated extract of beetroot is betaine. And this betaine often causes these side effects.
4. Kidney Problem:People suffering from kidney diseases should avoid beetroot because beetroot contains betaine, which increases the total cholesterol level in the body. Individuals with kidney problems need to consult a doctor before taking betaine to avoid complications.
5. Pregnancy:Pregnant women should be careful while taking betaine, as it can affect both the mother and child. According to Mayo Clinic, beetroot has a “C” rating for usage during pregnancy, i.e., it has been tested on animals and the studies have shown that it has an adverse impact on the growing fetus. To avoid needless hassles, limit your beetroot intake during pregnancy.
6. Lowers Blood Pressure Level:Beetroot has an inherent quality, which allows it to lower the body’s blood pressure level. For people with high BP, this can be a blessing. But it is important to remember that combining beet’s blood pressure lowering property with high BP medication can bring down the body’s blood pressure level dangerously low at times. So, if you are on high BP medication, be cautious while consuming beetroot.
7. Kidney Stones:The high oxalate content in beetroot increases the possibility of kidney stone formation in the body. So, if you have a history of kidney stone, refrain from consuming excess amounts of beetroot as it can be harmful for your health.
8. Calcium Level:Beetroot juice lowers the level of calcium in the body, which can lead to many diseases. This occurs due to the over drinking of the beetroot juice. Lowering the calcium level may lead to many bone problems. Thus, professional health care provider should be consulted in each and every stage.
9. Problems With Vocal Cord:Drinking beetroot juice can cause a feeling of tightness in the throat and can even make speaking difficult. This happens due to the overconsumption of beetroot. This problem can be avoided, if the juice is consumed with other vegetable juices.
10. Other Problems:Some people experience fever, chills, and rashes after drinking beetroot juice.
These side effects may look scary but compared to the immense benefits that one can get from beetroot, they are mere drops in the ocean!
So, go ahead, enjoy beetroot to your heart’s content. But, if you face any of these side effects, don’t panic! See your doctor and you’ll be fine!
Have you ever faced any of these side effects? Share your experiences with us in the comments section below.