Our bones stay hidden but their importance cannot be stressed enough! This invisible support system of our body goes through a number of wear and tear during our life time. As our bodies grow old, our bones too tend to become weak. A number of bone problems arise with old age. Inflammatory issues like arthritis is one of the various degenerative bone problems that lead to the growth of bone spurs. Also known as Osteophyte, a bone spur is a bony projection that grows on joints. It usually occurs on the shoulder, feet, toes, heel, hand etc.
Many a times, bone spurs go unattended, depending on its location. But when it shows symptoms, it causes pain, numbness, tenderness, difficulty in walking, inflammation etc. Normally it does not require any major treatment unless it is damaging other tissues or is causing acute pain. The best way to deal with bone spurs is to take the help of home remedies.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Bone Spurs:Some of the home remedies you can try to treat bone spur are:
1. Milk:Vitamin D is the major requirement for treating bone spur. Doctors prescribe the proper intake of vitamin D for treating a variety of bone issues, including bone spurs. The most natural source of vitamin D is milk, which contributes about 30% of the daily allowance of the Vitamin D to the body.
2. Flax Seeds:Flax seeds, also known as linseeds, are used as a nutritional supplement. Bandage of hot flax seeds can give relief from the soreness that comes with bone spurs.
3. Ice Pack:Using ice packs is one of the oldest remedies for relieving all kinds of aches and pains. Rolling of ice for 15 to 20 minutes on the affected area can provide a soothing feeling.
4. Resting and Footwear:Resting is one of the least expensive methods that can be tried for treating this bone problem. Footwear too plays a key role as the affected area is the foot in most of the cases. Comfortable and well fitted shoes prevent the occurrence of bone spur.
5. Proper Posture and Exercise:A good posture not only helps to prevent and offer relief from bone spurs but also protects the skeletal system from a number of problems. Exercising too is an integral part of staying healthy. But the amount of it should be reduced and should not be overdone. Remaining active with less stress is more advisable.
6. Apple Cider Wraps:Apple cider wraps can also be used to treat bone spurs. Soak a cloth in apple cider and wrap it around the affected area. Do this for a few weeks and you will surely get relief from the pain and inflammation that comes with bone spurs.
7. Ginger:Ginger is a universal home remedy. It is considered to be the best anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant that gives relief from constant agony. Proper intake of ginger can prove to be the manna from heaven for people suffering from bone spurs.
8. Turmeric:Turmeric stands first among the home remedies for bone spur. It contains curcumin, which results in the most reliable healing of bone spur. Continued intake of turmeric on an empty stomach for a couple of months will mend the affected area to a huge extent.
9. Vitamin K2:The function of Vitamin K2 is to deposit the calcium where it is needed. But deficiency of this vitamin can cause the calcium to be deposited somewhere else, causing calcium imbalance. It can be sourced from meat, poultry, and dark leafy vegetables.
10. Chamomile Flower:Bathing with boiled water added along with chamomile flowers, gives instant relief from the pain. Pouring the water on the painful joints gives relief from the discomfort.
The first thing you need to do when you suspect a bone spur is consult a doctor. A physician can give you a proper diagnosis and a treatment plan too. Follow that treatment plan along with these home remedies to get relief from bone spurs.
Hope you found this article helpful. Do share your views with us in the comments section.