What is Tart cherry juice? Tart cherries or sour cherries have long been used in traditional healing systems as local or folk remedies for various conditions like arthritis, gout, back and muscle ache, and sleep disorders. The tart cherry is closely related to the sweet cherry and can be consumed in a variety of ways like salads and desserts. Dieticians and nutrition experts recommend tart cherries to be consumed as juice.
7 Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice:Tart juice makes for a refreshing drink and has enormous nutritive value, offering individuals a host of health benefits. In general, the darker the cherry color, the higher the nutritive content. Here is given a list of health benefits of tart juice.
1. Powerful Anti-oxidant:According to a clinical research and studies conducted by the University of Michigan, tart juice contains anthocyanins that are natural anti-oxidants. The antioxidants are absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and help protect the body against heart conditions, cancer and mental illness due to advanced age. Anti-oxidants are vital for the smooth functioning of the body.
2. Anti-inflammatory Agent:Anthocyanins contained in tart cherries work as anti-inflammatory agents. According to clinical studies, anthocyanins, in the right proportion to the individual’s body weight have an anti-inflammatory effect similar to Indomethacin, the prescribed drug for joint pain and arthritis. Studies about whether tart juice can replace the drug as an anti-inflammatory agent are not clear, but it is proven to relieve pain with regular consumption.
3. Protection Against Cancer:Tart juice is also a good source of limonene, perillyl acid and ellagic acid. These compounds prevent cell alteration that triggers cancer in the body. Tart juice counteracts the effect of carcinogens on the body, protecting it against cancer. Tart juice is said to protect the body against breast, liver, lung and skin cancer.
4. Relief from Gout:Tart juice is extremely beneficial for men and women suffering from gout, a form of arthritis. Gout affects men and women in their middle ages and is a painful condition to deal with. According to a study conducted by University of Maryland, tart juice provides relief from gout. According to research carried out by the Medical center, drinking about 10 ounces of tart cherry juice for gout everyday provides immediate relief from inflammation, swelling and pain. The juice lowers uric acid levels in the body and prevents further attacks.
5. Regulates Blood Sugar Level:Tart juice boosts body metabolism and helps to eliminate excess sugar from the body. The juice also reduces cholesterol, regulates insulin levels and maintains blood sugar levels. The anthocyanins in the tart juice boosts metabolism of fats, protein and carbohydrates. Drinking a glass of tart juice everyday helps to cut abdominal fat and cholesterol level, and relieve inflammation in the body. The juice also cuts the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
6. Controls Weight and Cholesterol:Tart juice aids in weight loss and boosts body metabolism. The juice prevents the onset of a condition known as metabolic syndrome, which is a combination of symptoms that include high blood pressure, obesity and elevated cholesterol levels. Tart juice cuts the risk of obesity when consumed regularly.
Tart juice is a rich source of quercetin, a powerful antioxidant that prevents oxidative damage to the body, caused by free radicals from low-density lipoprotein (commonly known as bad cholesterol). Bad cholesterol, when oxidized, adheres to the walls of the arteries. This forms plaques that eventually lead to a blockage in the vascular system, causing a heart attack or stroke. Quercetin is also an anti-inflammatory agent that alleviates symptoms of respiratory disorder.
7. Regulates Sleep Cycle:Tart juice is beneficial for individuals suffering from insomnia and other sleep disorders. Tart juice contains a relatively high content of melatonin, which is a natural antioxidant that helps to induce sleep at night, and keeps the mind fresh and active during the day.
Apart from providing remedial measures for various health conditions, tart cherries also make a tasty, refreshing drink as part of a meal or as a juice diet by itself.
Share your ideas and experiences on health benefits of tart cherry juice with us in the comment section.