Drinking tea is the latest fad among health enthusiasts and for a very good reason. But are all teas equally healthy? Not at all!
Chinese green tea is well known for its health benefits. But the lesser known fact is that Bancha twig tea is also a green tea, but it is a Japanese variant. Also known as Kukicha twig tea, it is a rich source of assorted minerals, such as selenium, copper, calcium, zinc, fluorine, and manganese and Vitamins, such as A, B complex and C. It is also a rich source of flavanoids and catechins, the popular anti-cancerous polyphenols.
This tea is a rich source of tannins, which makes it a good detoxifying agent. Before getting to know the goodness of Bancha twig tea, let us see how to brew the tea at home.
How To Brew Kukicha or Bancha Tea At Home:Unlike other Japanese teas this tea is the easiest to brew. You have to simmer it to enjoy the rich aroma of the tea.
- Kukicha tea – 3 level tablespoon
- Water – 1 quart
- Lemon – to taste
- Honey or sugar – to taste
- Add water to a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add Bancha twigs and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain into tea cups. Keep aside the twigs to be used later.
- Serve hot or chilled.
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Kukicha Tea:Now that you know how to brew that perfect cuppa of Kukicha tea, let’s learn a little more about how it helps our body. The following are bancha green tea benefits.
1. Helps To Combat Cancer:Studies suggest that this tea has the potential to slow down and even safeguard you from various types of cancer, including ovarian, bladder, pancreatic, and esophageal cancers. Studies suggest that women who drink at least 2 cups of this tea have 46% lower chances of developing ovarian cancer than non-green tea drinkers.
2. Prevents Oral Infections:Green tea is a rich source of catechins, especially epigallocatechin gallate. This green tea can be used as an antiseptic for oral infections, such as periodontal issues and cavities. You can do an oral gargle twice a day with cool Bancha twig tea for a quicker healing.
3. Keeps You Mentally Alert:The presence of caffeine in Kukicha twig tea is known to have a positive impact on mental alertness.
4. Good For Skin:Your body contains free radicals in loads, which are harmful for the skin. Drinking two cups of this tea is known to help you in handling these free radicals. The antioxidants – polyphenols – combat these harmful agents and lower their negative impact on the skin. It helps in delaying premature aging and keeps your skin young and radiant.
Plus, the tea is also known to be useful in safeguarding the skin from skin cancer. It keeps the skin nourished and moisturized, preventing dry skin issues. Topical application of this tea is known to be an effective remedy for sunburns. It is also known to shield your skin from various conditions, including rashes, psoriasis, and acne.
5. Helps You To Shed Flab:Rich in caffeine and zero in calories, Bancha twig tea makes an ideal weight loss drink. It has the potential to stimulate the secretion of bile. This, in turn, empowers and enhances the digestive system, enabling proper assimilation of fat. As it is zero in calories, it makes an ideal snack option.
6. Natural Detox Agent:Packed with antioxidants, this tea helps in detoxifying the kidneys and liver. The unwanted wastes are expelled from the body, protecting your body from a number of diseases.
7. Lowers Risk Of Cardiovascular Diseases:Kukicha twig tea has the potential to lower and maintain the body’s blood pressure levels. Two cups of this tea prevents cardiovascular diseases.
8. Combats Cold And Flu:Packed with vitamin C, this tea can be incorporated into your daily diet to boost your immunity. It is also known to be effective in combating flu and cold.
9. Prevents And Eases HPV Infection:Two cups of this tea a day is known to impede the growth of abnormal cells in the cervix that cause Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) infection.
10. Keeps Blood Sugar Levels Under Control:Studies have proved the positive impact of assorted variants of green tea in preventing and curing Diabetes Type 2. Kukicha tea also possesses this potential and enhances the glucose metabolism rate in the body. This in turn keeps the blood sugar level under control.
While Bancha twig is often recommended as a natural cure for various health conditions, more research is required to ascertain the facts.
Have you ever tried a cup of this sweet, creamy, and nutty flavored bancha tea? Have I left out any benefits? Share below.